Tropical Paradise

27 Aug

When I was planning our 2012 summer family adventure, I was looking for something unique.  Something a little more adventurous than the typical beach vacation and a way to expose my kids to some new experiences.  I wanted my kids to do things that were beyond anything they could have ever imagined.  Through hours of research and planning,  I finally decided on Belize.  Having already made a trip to this tiny country (minus the kids), I had a good idea of what to expect and thought that it would fit the bill for my active brood.  I was right.  The kids had a blast, enjoyed some amazing experiences, and even learned a bit along the way.  Mission accomplished!  Our adventures in Belize began in the jungle and continued with some “chillaxing” on the island of Ambergris Caye at the Coco Beach Resort.

Coco Beach was the perfect tropical family resort.  Two bedroom condos, amazing pools (with an unbelievable climbing and sliding structure), swim up bar, and a staff that loved kids (or at least faked it really well).  I will admit that Coco Beach was not the easiest place to get to.  The trip started on the mainland, included a quick puddle jumper flight over to Ambergris Caye, a taxi to the dock, and lastly a quick boat ride to the resort.  While getting to this tropical paradise was a little draining for me (ok, totally exhausting), it was all part of the adventure for the kids.  They were totally fascinated with the 12 passenger plane and the a boat doubling as a taxi was totally amazing.  The minute we arrived to Coco Beach, the torture of the long and hot day became a distant memory.  This resort is fabulous!

With my kids being so programmed to associate beach vacations with boogie boarding, Belize was quite a surprise.  To be honest, at first my kids were upset when realizing that Belize was not going to be like other beach vacations.  There are no waves, so playing in the surf and boogie boarding was off the table.  After about four thousand complaints about the no wave situation, the little monsters finally listened to all the other great things that Belize had to offer.  Swimming with sharks, petting sting rays, spear fishing, sailing, and exploring the island on bikes or a golf cart.  The kids were sold on Belize and never looked back.  We spent the days keeping active and the evenings out exploring the town of San Pedro.  Perfect combination of activity and relaxation!

Ambergris Caye (and the Coco Beach Resort) was total paradise for the whole family!  By the way, if you’re wondering…yes, that is my kid swimming with an 8 foot shark.  No lack of adventure in Belize!

6 Responses to “Tropical Paradise”

1. Margarita August 27, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

Looks fabulous. Thanks for sharing! ;)

• myblissfulbrood August 28, 2012 at 1:29 am #

It was fabulous…hope I can go back again! Thanks for reading.

2. dockfam August 27, 2012 at 9:37 pm #

This is something to put on the bucket list. At the hotel I recently worked at, we would at least twice a year, have the Nordstroms (of the Nordstrom department stores) come stay there on the way to Belize and on the way back form Belize where they have a vacation home and a yacht. They are the nicest people and always offered use of everything if we ever went there. I should’ve taken them up on it! Looks so beautiful.

• myblissfulbrood August 28, 2012 at 1:30 am #

What a bummer that you didn’t get a chance to visit Belize. It is one of my favorite places in the world. Besides being beautiful it is such a unique culture with warm and friendly people. I just love Belize!

3. Lori Nickell September 13, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

We have been there twice over the years. Most recently Summer 2011. Husband and daughter achieved their Open Water Scuba Certifications and I read 2 books in the shade by the pool. Perfection! Can’t wait to go back again, really soon!

• myblissfulbrood September 13, 2012 at 9:07 pm #

I love Belize too, for so many great reasons! It really has something for everyone. Thanks for reading and have a fabulous weekend!